Thursday, January 29, 2009

Life, Through a Lens

“The creative artist is fundamentally a religious person.” --Minor White

I was ten years old when I was first given a camera to use at my sole discretion. It was fifth grade camp and, although I had spent the summer flying the 3,000 miles across the country from San Diego to New Jersey on my own solo adventure, it was my first time away from home with my peers. My mother had packed my duffle bag, including in it her point and shoot device.
Today, as I look back through not just my own photographs but those taken of me upon our elementary school campus I recognize that, like physical movement which afforded me an opportunity to connect to my classmates in a non-verbal way, the camera was yet another tool for providing me with access into other people’s worlds, - an entrance within which I did not have to rely upon the bumbling messiness of the spoken word.
The following are photographs that encapsulate my story, herstory, as told in the aforementioned pages. These photographs were taken throughout my Goddard career, which has spanned three years, two separate locations, and many sojourns in between. In them, you will notice the pleasure I took in experimenting with layers. This play led to the realization that I was like an onion, - that with each reflection, I was peeling back a layer and exposing more of my own vulnerable heart.