Friday, June 18, 2010

test response 2

I, however, always like to investigate and probe
deeper
further.
I like to look
for meaning.


(why not?  how else do we have to spend our time?)

I was a writer before I was a reader.
At ten years of age, I was already working on my first novel -
some fictional, coming-of-age story about a prepubescent girl
whose life was way more intriguing than my own mid-class,
suburban lifestyle. "Nikki's Life," was comprised of a few chapters and
copious pages of notes before it was shelved, forever to remain a
captive member on my bookshelf.

It was only in high school when I developed my thirst for reading.
Truth be told, it was Danielle Steel novels, tales of romance on the high seas and
unrequited love in distant lands, that captured my attention
and had me seeking out more
stories, more tales, more travel,
more adventure, more more more...

At twenty-three years of age and on the dawn of the new century,
I was to be found in the epic and lush New Zealand backcountry.
Relishing in the western opportunity to feed some of my desires,
I hitchhiked, backpacked and camped my way across the land.

At the beginning of this journey, I carried a beat up copy of Paolo Coehlo's
The Alchemist with me.
Paolo's typed words echoed deeply within my short frame.
At the time, I didn't know what any of it meant.
All I knew was that this story, this book, this collective myth being told
resonated.................................

Coehlo's timeless tale told of one human being's searching for and manifesting of
his own personal legend - that is, what a person has always wanted to accomplish
in his or her own life.
"Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is.
At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible.
They are not afraid to dream and to yearn for everything
they would like to see happen to them in their lives.
But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will
be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend."

Coelho's protagonist follows his path, toward the greatness he has always
dreamed for himself and is initially greeted with very little resistance.
"Every search begins with beginner's luck," Coelho's philosopher espouses.

"And, every search ends with the victor being severely tested."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~