Wednesday, March 27, 2013

here, now

"Maybee, this is it," I say to A. as we sit on a mid-day University Avenue where cars lurch by and the people stroll on a warm, spring day.  Not quite thirty and still filled with the rebellion that seems to mark an artist's journey, he fights against the notion.  "Really," I press, "perhaps, this is it," and I demonstrate a giving in and surrendering that I myself have resisted for many years now.  Yet, here I am and, even though I was thinking I should leave or that this here "should" bee somewhere else, where I am is really quite a lovely place.  In fact, it's exactly where I've always wanted to bee.  Sure, there may not bee material abundance or free-flowing money but there is so much LOVE.  It's in my home with my sisters; it's on the streets where acquaintances walk by; it's in stores and coffee shops where our community is; it's in restaurants where we work; it's on the beach and at the park where I lay snuggling up to a brother; it's in the dance studios.  It's in the sky where Hawks drift on Pacific breezes of exhaust and marine layer and it's in the Earth where slithering serpents hug the contours of a coastal desert terrain.  There are kisses and hugs, and sweet intimacies shared.  There is acknowledgment and a sense of belonging.  There are whispers and laughs.  There is catching up on time that has passed under the bridge - longer stretches when babies have been born, marriages taken place, and with travel and exciting journeys.  And, there are the short spans too, where a thick silence and stillness fill the air, when we just listen to the moments tick on by - tick tick tick.  And all without having to drive or go somewhere or do something.  Just by bee-ing - it is here, now.  Why would I want to leave?  What more is there?  Is there anything else that would make me content?  Not really.  This is all I ever wanted.  LOVE. 
(Tribe and Village.)