Monday, March 31, 2014

BABY RISING: from winter to spring and spring to fall

I heard your heart beat
for the very first time,
a steady, sure rhythm,
of 170 beats per minute and you
caught my breath.
Catching me off guard,
waking me up to this miracle that is
You.
Your Dad was there, too
with a comforting watch over my care,
he jumped to his feet when he saw my surprised stare
at the lapping
swoosh, swoosh
of my placenta, potently punctuated
by your powerful pulse,
Cahlo.
Like an acorn finding ground,
you grow inside of me,
and with each passing day,
we track your development
from a bean to a fig,
and from a plum to a lime,
then you were a lemon and now you are the size of an apple.
Cahlo, you already bear the markings of a
sweet, nutritious fruit.
Your sister laments her missed opportunity to hear you,
"there will be time," we assure her.
And your community excitedly speaks into my barely there, baby bump,
"Welcome, little one!" they sing.
And as the seasons change,
from winter to spring,
and soon from spring to fall,
you continue to take root,
growing bigger and stronger,
a developing Oak already claiming your space,
leaning into the warmth of my womb,
while feasting on the abundance that is Me.
All too soon, you will join the towering giants of
Love and Compassion,
Wisdom and Harmony,
ready to seed a new forest.
Until then,
we await your arrival,
Cahlo.