Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tales of an Avid Documentarian

La Escencia Dance Company

Life, Through a Lens

“The creative artist is fundamentally a religious person."  --Minor White

I was ten years old when I was first given a camera to use at my sole discretion. It was fifth grade camp and, although I had spent the summer flying the ~3,000 miles across the country from San Diego to New Jersey on my own solo adventure, it was my first time away from home with my peers. My mother had packed my duffle bag, including in it her point and shoot device.
Today, as I look back through not just my own photographs but those taken of me upon school campuses and elsewhere, I recognize that, like physical movement which afforded me an opportunity to connect to my classmates in a non-verbal way, the camera was yet another tool for providing me access into other people's worlds - an entrance within which I did not have to rely upon the bumbling messiness of the spoken word.

Sabor Mexico Theatrical Dance Company

Thus, I have been a photographer since the innocent age of ten.  However, my passion is rooted, as always, less in the form and more in the process.  I seek to document and preserve pieces of the past, tales unfolding and stories meant to be told.  I am an avid documentarian - it is a vital part of my practice.  So, when Christina Perez de Lock called me up a few weeks ago, asking for someone to capture "action shots" of her newest performance at the Centro Cultural de la Raza, I was only too eager to lend my eye.

I arrived at the witching hour and scoped out my spot in the Centro.  Naturally, I found the best seat in the house - I sat at the corner of the upper right stage where, with one of the transitory walls of the art gallery directly behind me, I was out of the audience's line of sight.  I was, however, directly beside where the dancers sashayed, twirled, pranced and played.  Their vibrant fabrics of flowing colors and dripping passion oozed and passed right by me.  In some moments, the swish and spin of these costumes came into direct contact with both the camera lens and myself.  Together, we all danced. 

As a dancer myself, how do I capture the fleeting ephemerality of movement?
How can I convey and share the passing of space and time with others after the moments have passed
and with this marvel that we call technology?  I don't know but, these days, I am more willing to try than I ever have been.  These days, I simply keep putting one foot in front of the other and walking forward.  It is all there is to do...
DanzArts