Thursday, September 11, 2014

Cahlo Watch 2014 ~ 1.5 weeks to Go, & a Letter from His Father

Fully Expressed, 100% Sober & Emotionally Available ~ Your Father
(here he is chasing away evil spirits in honor of your coming)
Cahlo,

As you can see, your mother has been freely journaling your birth story. I, of course, have had a front row seat in the process, and I felt like sharing what your birth has been like from this perspective.

We've received countless congratulations, and just as many words of encouragement. Often people assure me that I'll be a great father, as I am one already to your sister; I'm flattered that people think that, and it does inspire me to be the best father I can be.

They also expect that I have a fair sense of composure about the process, having been through it before; unlike your mom, as you're her first child. There's truth to that, yes, as I'm able to reassure your mom at times, knowing a bit how fluid and dynamic pregnancy can be. You're full of surprises already, not just in your movements, but in your overt and subtle ways of affecting our lives.

As a father, I'm a witness to your mother going through this extraordinary process. Her body is changing dramatically, of course. More than that, though, I revel in watching your mother unfold her maternal self; you've evoked parts of her that have been dormant, and watching them come to life is beautiful.

I chose your mother to be my partner because she's incredibly honest and trustworthy. I also loved her love for life; all of it, not just the pretty bits. I encourage you to listen to your mother, and trust what she says. Her perspective on life is acute and magical, and I know she'll help you learn to discover life fully.

Of course, I'll be here, and I can't wait to discover who you are, who wou want to be. We'll learn from each other, and I'm excited for that prospect.

We've also gathered a lovely community of people that love to love. In Asian cultures, we extend our families freely, calling good friends "Auntie" and "Uncle". Here in town, we've found our Soul Family, and it actually stretches around the globe. You have been loved from the moment we knew you were coming.

Last week, our midwife tuned me further into the notion of how your birth is a ritual, and I couldn't help but see these past 8+ months as fully part of the ritual, for you, for your mother, and for me. You and your mother get to go through the birthing process first hand, and I'll be there as open as I can be, to be a part of the experience. Our intent is to bring you as gently into the world as possible so you know what it feels like to be safe and sound from Day One, nursing along the experience that you've had in your mother's womb all this time.

I'm turning back to work now, something you've help to rekindle within me. I'll see you soon.

--Poopa

A more serene image of how he usually appears
whenever he speaks up (& naturally attests to what is in my heart)