Thursday, April 25, 2024

Death & Dying (in the time of Covid)

You dad may have been physically suffering throughout the month of January 2020 but he never emotionally or spiritually suffered. He faced his demise and the physical breakdown of his body with strength and courage. Watching all of this with front row seats however deeply affected both you and I. We did emotionally suffer experiencing this but I did my best to keep us focused on our routines too. You still went to La Calandria, your private school in Vilcabamba, everyday and there the teachers weren't noticing you as being in pain. After school, I would get us out on ambling bike rides along the river. Burt thought I should have us spending that time being with him but witnessing his level of emaciation and his inability to defacate hurt. We needed to remember the vibrant life that was brimming within us as well as the nature surrounding us too. Burt and I definitely struggled as a couple in these final weeks. True to form, he wasn't a good patient to and for me and yet he still expected me to be his nurse with ease. It was hard but we found our way through - clearly communicating about both everything and nothing until the very end. Burt didn't leave me a letter in his death and dying process because everything was said and done between us. There is no remaining karma between us. Just the desire and choice to reconnect again - or not - in another lifetime. We.Are.Free.