Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Pregnancy @ 20 Weeks: Half Way There

Disclaimer:
Pregnancy is not glamorous.
Every morning, your nose chock full of boogers.
There's constipation, gas and gas pains.
Your skin stretches, maybe your breasts become fuller thus drooping closer to the Earth
and you experience an itchiness all over that comes with both.

Your sleep has already begun to be interrupted,
with fitful nights of tossing from side to side, then on your back for a brief stint
and, perhaps, on your belly in the early months.
Odd dreams, filled with hyper-sexuality, have you unconsciously dancing in bed.

There might be nausea and vomiting, lethargy and all-around tiredness.
There could also be strange cravings or a loss of appetite.
You find yourself turning your nose up to smells that once appealed to you.
No, there is nothing glamorous about pregnancy.

But what Pregnancy is 
is Miraculous and Powerful.

I am the Vessel with which another human being is coming into Life through.
It's not merely an idea, birthed through the labor of my mind.
No, this baby is real, live, screaming, organic and I have no control of how it's coming, when
it will arrive or any of the moments that will follow from here on out.
All I Can Do is
OPEN and SURRENDER.
And, there's the MAGIC right there.
That's the WILD WOMAN IN ACTION.

So, this gift that I am graciously (and some days, not so graciously) living through each day
is exactly that - a moment by moment, step by step experience filled with All of it.
The joy and the pain, the misery and the contentment, the beauty and the ugliness -
just as I imagine Parenthood to be

My belly is now rounder and protruding. My belly button is disappearing and I am not currently capable of performing some of the basic to advanced stretches that I have spent years practicing - such as child's pose, the bridge or the scorpion.

It's fun to laugh at myself as I tumble out of what was once rote positions.

Having been fairly protective of my womb, I have consciously chosen to rest more - in lieu of challenging myself to be some superwoman whom my life's experiences has taught me that I am not. More than anything, I always trust the decisions I intuitively make and I rely more on what my body instinctively knows then on any book or other person's experience.

Although my physical and emotional states have wobbled and I have fluctuated in and out of exerting the energy to physically move, what I am finding most enjoyable is 
Dancing with my Belly. Exposing my mid-drift from the onset of my pregnancy to now, at five months in, and moving with it in the mirror has been awesome! Witnessing these fantastic changes that are happening both inside and outside of me and simply being with it is a Goddess-send. 

More than anything though, with each passing day, I grow more and more excited to meet my Son.
Alas, I am patient because the boy needs to bake for about four more months. So, until then, I'll keep weaving my way in and out of this wondrous thing called Life. Sometimes happy, sometimes not, but always ALIVE and doing my best to keep learning how to just Accept What Is.