Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On Offering Love

Greetings, take I


As an undergraduate student, I witnessed the way a sweet friend moved through the world.  Overflowing with warm, positive energy, she would toss her arms out wide & squeal with delight when she came upon the faces of her many friends, men and women both.  And I'd sit there, in my morbid apathy, wishing that I could do the same instead of remaining inert & held captive by my fear as I had done for too long.  Then, I wished for a time to come when I too could throw my hands up to the sky, beam at you full in the face and exclaim, "Thank God, you're here!  I love you."

Greetings, take II

And then came a time when my Mexican boyfriend and I would arrive into a party.  He would make the customary round of greeting every single person who was present at the event.  Acknowledging her or him with a peck on the cheek or a bump of the fist, he announced his arrival as I surreptitiously walked in behind him only to duck out of the welcoming line and quickly find a seat.  My refusal to follow suit was a simple by-product of my insecurities.  Rather than move through my discomfort of allowing for a new way of bee-ing in this world, I took the easy way out.  And, in the end, I always hurt myself more by doing so.