Monday, September 5, 2011

The Deep Well of Compassion

A Day of Mind-Fullness at Escondido's Deer Park

I was twenty when I was first introduced to the literary prowess, as well as compassionate philosophy, of Thich Nhat Hahn.  A Nobel Peace prize winner, renown poet, political activist and Tibetan Buddhist, Thay has created worldwide intentional villages that celebrate harmony.  At the core of his teachings is a belief in Mindfullness - in being deeply present to all of the wonders that each and every moment holds.  From the get go, I recognized Thay's wisdom.  However, I had to thrash against my own suffering and resistance before I could arrive here, now.  Although Thay makes regular visits to San Diego County to visit one of his monasteries, Deer Park in Escondido, only yesterday did I finally enjoy a morning spent in Thay's presence, joining a walking meditation in Sangha (community) and then listening to a Beloved teacher impart a Dharma talk.

Under an oak grove up a winding Escondido hill, close to one thousand people gathered round as the 86-year-old Thay sat with a circle of children facing him.  Feeling the wind on his face while listening to the morning sun drying the dew, he slowly sipped his tea.  Then, he invited a Tibetan singing bowl to sound.  He spoke not.  Rather, he offered us a glimpse of the true embodiment of presence - no past, no future, only this, now.  Blessed with a near front row seat, I opened all of my pores and my cells to such an extraordinary display of humanity.  The camera remained in my purse for I sought not to remove myself from fully experiencing this gift of presence.  Each time the singing bowl sang, I turned into the north and breathed in the mantra, "I have arrived.  I am home."  I have arrived.  I am home.

In the great meditation hall - that Thay designed himself, inspired by the vibrant, American barns that dot the Vermont countryside - we sat packed like a can of sardines.  Knee to knee, and shoulder to shoulder, the palpable call of this now was evident.  Thay's Dharma talk was sweet, peppered with mantras for Beloveds.  "Darling, I love you.  I am here," he advised us to speak to each other.  With the caveat, "But you must be present, otherwise it is not true."  He also lectured upon Mindful consumption and how we must be aware of how everything we see, hear, touch and engage within is consumption.  He warned of the dangers of our craving, violent and fearful media.  He advised less and then he invited us to enjoy a Mindful lunch together, provided by the brothers and sisters of Deer Park.   

What inspired me most was Thay's deep, infinite well of compassion.  Even though fifty+ years of non-violent action, including the penning of over 100 books - all in the name of PEACE (peace begins within and is in every step) - has not yet yielded the results we all seek and hope for, Thay has not been dismayed.  Even though, just yesterday, he requested a lunch of Mindful eating and, only minutes later, I witnessed the same walking and eating, the same standing and eating, the same talking and eating, of our everyday mindlessness, he still offers.  Even though we receive his lessons in one, giant gulp as just another experience to be consumed and then regurgitated for a willing ear, or eye.  Even though his open palms get slapped away and his vulnerable heart is rejected, by us and our mindless actions.  Even though we take, take, take from this Master, walking up to him, post Dharma talk, asking for his autograph for our individual books, or thinking that we are entitled to sit upon a wooden bench before him as the women, elderly and children are relegated to the floor, he still gives.  He still loves.  His love is boundless.  Without form or container.  A flowing well, it spills forth.

Dear God.  Please grant me just an ounce of such humility and compassion.