Friday, September 16, 2011

Pushing the Reset Button

I gone and did it.
I deactivated my Facebook account.
Yes!
Freedom is here. 

It's ironic.  Considering the fact that I've spent the past few weeks
espousing the merits of social media.  Obviously, I am still typing to this location.
However, who knows, perhaps my online blog writing will be next to follow.


I guess I am just wanting to push the reset button. 
Kind of like what my Body recently did.  (Which was absolutely in tune with Universal timing.)
A few weeks back, I was dancing my a$$ off on a Tuesday night in Encinitas, all the while thinking I was seventeen again.  The tunes that were pouring out of the loudspeakers was sugary, southern California pop and it took me back a lifetime - to when I first flew the proverbial nest, headed away from the dysfunction of my parent's home and into the solace of undergraduate life.  I was so energized by this embodied memory, as well as by where I find myself now, that I spent an hour jumping up and down, down and up.  On one, final elevation, I felt my right ankle joint move down and away from my lower tibia and fibula bones.

Responding immediately, I landed on my left leg and then lowered myself to the floor.  I spent some time caring for, caressing and loving my ankle.  I also chuckled at the fact that I am no longer that lost and confused teenage girl.  And then, I experienced a surge of deep gratitude for the lifetime of experience that has flowed in between.  "I am no longer that little girl, thank God!" I exclaimed.  Although my ankle didn't feel good, I intuited that what I was experiencing was the remnants of an old injury finally righting itself.  So, I danced out the remainder of the evening by placing most of my weight on my left ankle.

As a junior in college, I had broken this ankle and I have struggled to move forward in my life ever since.  Time and again, I lacked compassion for myself.  I berated and beat myself up for the smallest of infractions.  Or, I refused to accept others - thereby, rejecting myself.  I disrespected ME by being out of integrity - in my word and deed as well as in how and with who I spent my time.

What's different about now is that I have 110% committed to my spiritual evolution.  I am no longer choosing to suffer.  For a little while there, I was confused about why I had re-hurt this ankle but I now know that I didn't re-hurt anything.  The fact of the matter is that I have been hurting for too long now.  The hurting is over and the ankle is re-set.  It's time to move on.      


As for Facebook, it sure was a good friend.  It re-introduced me to my love for creating chronicles of my life now.  I've been a scrapbooking, journal-writing, photo album maker and keeper since I was a little girl.  Facebook reminded me of my role in this world as an active documentarian.  It also taught me that a Revolution can be started with a singular woman posting a video to her profile.  For these, I'll always be grateful.  But I don't think I'll miss it.