Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Celebrating the Doctor"

painting by Mario Torero, www.fuerzamundo.org
(Excerpt taken, again, from "Cara's Bible/Women's Notes," dated 05-07-96)

"I have a dream that someday children of all colors, genders, shapes and sizes will be born unto this Earth with the freedom of choice.  The choice to choose a life that they will have ordained for their selves.  I have a dream that we as a society will not place norms on these innocent children and that we will not dictate which paths they shall choose.  I have a dream that these children will grow up in an open-minded, hate-free society and that they will make wise choices which they will then pass on to their offspring.  I have a dream and together we can make it a reality."

Today, after browsing through the number of Facebook postings that my peers made in regards to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday, I wondered what actions I took yesterday - on the national holiday that honors his Be-ing - that help to further the Doctor's dream (or, even, my own).  I was hard-pressed to come up with any quick answers.  (Even though, I do believe that the Prosperity Hive is a living, breathing model of MLK's notion of "beloved community."  I also believe, in my heart of hearts, that the photos of our event from this past Saturday shout this from these San Diego rooftops.)

Today, I have felt energetically drained.  I could do little but walk.  I can always walk.  I came into this world with this miraculous instrument - this body, with these two legs and feet.  It has carried me great distances - around the world and back, even.  For me, walking is both refuge and solace.  It is how I connect to time and place, to the Earth under my feet, to my Self and to the world around me.  I walk and I breathe.  I walk and I notice.  I walk and I re-member.  I walk and I reflect - upon Peace Pilgrim, for example, a silver-haired woman who spent 28 years walking 25,000 miles all in the name of "Peace."

On this past New Year's Day, I enjoyed time spent with dear friends while engaging in the Red Lotus Society's "Peace in the Streets" event.  While dancing in their Ideal Hotel and to my favorite local tunes provided by Todo Mundo, I reached across that seemingly great divide and introduced myself to an older woman who was sitting by herself at one of the heavy, mahogany tables.  "Hi, I'm Cara," I extended my open hand.  We chatted amicably as I obnoxiously laid on top of the cumbersome piece of furniture.  We discovered our shared passion for walking.  "Let's walk together sometime," I suggested.  She readily agreed and scrawled her phone number down on a white, square napkin.

I had yet to to call Linda when yesterday rolled around.  There I was, doing what I do - walking towards that Golden Hill after waking in the morning - and there she was, paused near the police department.  "Linda?" I inquired.  "Yes," she responded.  So, we walked together that morning and we walked together again this evening.  Tonight, we shared a brilliant moment on a busy street corner when I spoke my sadness, emotion arose, and Linda hugged me right there - under a full moon, as pedestrians strolled by and cars flew through the green light.  I might now know how to truly demand what I am worth - especially when it comes to money and men - and I still don't "know" what I'm doing.  Yet, somehow, I think the Doctor is looking down upon me, and smiling.