Friday, August 19, 2011

On "ME"ism & Our Collective "I"LLNESS

Me & My Uncle John, circa 1977  

I have spent most of my life deeply fearful.  Afraid of rejection and getting hurt, I mistakenly moved through the world believing that I was consistently being judged as never enough - "never enough, never enough."  Consequently, I kept my mouth shut when I wanted to sing.  I withheld my burning love when I wanted to offer it freely.  And, I continually chose inaction when all I wanted to do was act upon every impulse and instinct.  Instead, I sat down, shut up and played the role of looking and being just like the crowd around me.  I suffered miserably as a result.

And, yet, how relative our suffering is.  Because, obviously, the suffering I am speaking of is all self-imposed.  I know not the cruel hand of fate that could of had me born unto a land or a people where daily survival for food, shelter or, even, physical safety is an ongoing battle.  Rather, all I have ever known is comfort and security.  All I have ever known is ease.  I am a spoiled American girl.  After all, at just seventeen years of age, and after graduating from high school, it was only natural that I move six+ hundred miles away and create a new life for myself at my parent's expense.  There, in college, I was handed credit cards, in my name, in order to begin carving out a consumer way of being.  Then and since, I have repeatedly taken advantage of this American way in the name of travel, education and other life experiences.  As I have traversed the contours of our phenomenal planet, I have always carried with me a deep sense of entitlement - for my BodyMind truly believes that I am entitled to move through the world free, safe and out of harms way. 

The irony is that most people in this world can not afford such luxury - neither in their pursuits nor in their everyday.  Some call this "unjust."   All I now know is that I have a deep responsibility to enjoy and fully revel in the luck that has been bestowed upon me - because, ultimately, I think that this is what the others who are not so fortunate would want.  "Enjoy," I can hear them saying.  Sometimes, I can believe that this is enough - the enjoyment of what we have been given - and that this is how we can "Be the Change."