Saturday, November 26, 2011

Eat, Sleep, MOVE! (take II)

SLEEP

I just recently read an article in the "Health" section of the SD Union Tribune - it was a piece about how scientists have been "proving" that deep REM sleep is essential for a healthy life.  And, I'm like "Duh.  They PAY people to "prove" the obvious?" 

If you haven't noticed, I am a human of immense energy.  A day I live for (and just recently experienced last Sunday) is when I am in the kitchen helping to prepare and serve food (because as one of my mentors, Christine Stevens, taught me, "Feeding others is the quickest way to Enlightenment,") as well as inciting others to dance, move, express and "Bee Free" all the while documenting and living the process!  WHEW!  It's a lot of energetic output and the only way I can maintain it is by having sufficient rest.


In the Hive, I literally have a cave.  I have a small space that is my inner most chamber.  It is where I retreat to just about every night to replenish my Self.  It's dark and quiet and perfect for dropping in to deep REM (rapid eye movement).  It's a luxury that I provide for myself because I cannot function without good sleep.  Others are always welcome to sleep in the Hive and they do (two people are now catching up on their rest while laying on a blowup mattress), as I "selfishly" make my way into my private space.  I take this pleasure honestly and without remorse.  Because I know how I give, I also know how to take for my Self.

My ex-boyfriend believes that because we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping then we should have an extremely comfortable bed and pillows.  I agree with him and I did become addicted to his memory foam mattress and pillows during our 4 year relationship.  However, my preference has always been more eastern in nature.  I love the floor, so that's where you'll find me - with just enough padding to provide comfort for my aging bones.  

Also, restrict the amount of media that you allow into your most sacred space.  Fill it, instead, with what deeply feeds you - like photographs of your loved Ones; good books to lay down with; mood lighting; images & words of Beauty & Inspiration.  I also like to have my deepest seed dreams written, painted, drawn out and hanging in this space.  As they help to remind me of my INTENTION for Being Here, Now.


Honor your body with what it needs by not inundating it with stimuli.  
Let it Rest.  
Let it Be.  
You Deserve.