Thursday, December 15, 2011

On My Power, Lost & Found

My Power is...
soft. gentle. kind. loving. affectionate. open. curious. pure.
caring. furry. fuzzy. intuitive. instinctual. BLACK. funny. silly. airheaded.
observant. keenly aware. highly intelligent. youthful. sweet. hilarious. innocent.



What a week! 
My Power was literally lost.  Per the wild tendencies of both him as well as my ex, he sauntered right out the garage door and into the central animal shelter for the past two days.  Intuition told me "No, Power isn't in the shelter" and, thus, I lost valuable time, energy & resources driving all around town, making signs, & etc., without fully investigating the validity of my feelings.  Ai! 

Yesterday, I finally walked into the first animal kennel in the lovely Linda Vista Kroc Center and the first dog in the first door on the left is my very own.  He looked at me, as happy as always.  "There you are!" I spoke.  "We've been looking all over for you."  And he just smiled back, shaking his ass and standing there, waiting patiently.  "Power!" I finally cried and his whole body came to life.  "Ruffruffruuuffffff," he responded, as the recognition that he was "found" dawned on him.

Names and words aren't simply just spoken.  They hold meaning, they have intention and they transcend mere verbal communication.  Power, my dog, has taught me more about what true power is than, I think, any human possibly could.  My ex and I adopted him when we shouldn't have.  Both Mario & I are extremely irresponsible adults - running from our own selves, we barely stop long enough to really sink in to these moments, now.  Yet, pouring attention and love into something other than one's self can truly be a gift that keeps on giving.  So, Power was found by my ex's cousins and, at just eight weeks old, we brought him to our then shared home in Clairemont.

At that time, I was living through an apex of my own extreme, self-imposed suffering.  My daily walks with Power became not just a reprieve but vital life-learning lessons.  I'd drive him over to OB's Dog Beach and watch as he would joyously run up to every seated human being, asking them for what he ultimately only ever wants (which is affection).  Power makes connecting to others look easy.