Monday, June 13, 2011

Arriving at the Door with a Switch in Hand

Windwalker Dorn, one of my many teachers
"Guided by instinct - intuition, don't think."   --Shylah Ray Sunshine
"Don't follow the Guru.  For you are the Guru."  --DJ Sharu




















      

 


Last weekend, while sitting at the feet of one of my many teachers (not because I am a follower, but because I believe in respect.  I demonstrate with my actions that I have much to learn even as I simultaneously embody that I am "perfect" just as I am, now), she spoke of her Shamanic path.  When she first began actively practicing her healing ways, one of her teachers showed up at her front door, slapping a wooden switch against the palm of his hand.  This Medicine Man had driven through torrential rains, all night long from North Carolina to Ohio, because he needed to teach Windwalker a lesson.  Although he had never visited her country home - hidden behind a mile of towering corn, off of a nondescript county-maintained road - he arrived with ease.  In trepidation, Windwalker opened her front door upon his menacing presence. 
"You cannot heal everyone," he pointedly instructed. 
"Do you hear me, Windwalker? 
You cannot help everyone." 
It was a timely message and one that needn't come with any more precision.  He made his point, left his mark and took his leave.  And, ever since, Windwalker has paid keen attention to where - and with whom - she invests her healing medicine.  For, in life, there are some people who's spirits have become so corroded by the dark that they simply want to take what we have to offer.  Like vampires lost in the shadows of the night, they suck all life force out of their host bodies in an attempt to maintain their own morbid realities.  Then, there are others who are simply not ready to heal, even as they pretend otherwise.  (Like hypochondriacs.)  Their words and actions give them away, however.  As Medicine People, we cannot force our ways upon these others, we can only make our offerings and leave the rest to the great river of time.  Today, I recognize the idealistic dreamer in me who still struggles to identify the dis-ease of the EGO as it runs amok amongst us mere mortals.  The purity of innocence that I revel within makes distinguishing "the good from the bad" relatively difficult.  Nonetheless, I trust my instinct and my intuition.  For there's nothing else to do.  Yes, I admit, there are many in my life whom I am hoping I can help to RE-FORM right along with my own transformation right now.  I have long given up on trying to reform my parents, however.  At almost seventy and seventy-eight years of age, they are stridently set in their ways.  Instead, I turn my attention toward my peers.  What else is there to do?