Friday, December 3, 2010

Learning to Trust, part deux

Love, Compassion, Joy & Serenity, Nov 2010

For months now, I've been trying to both really listen and respond quicker - to these moments n-o-w.
I am still learning how.  Thus, when the opportunity to document friends' art and dance shows arose,
I jumped at the chance.  With the Paso y Palmas performance at the Centro, I borrowed a friend's tricked-out Nikon SLR 50,000 (or, sumpin' like that) 'cause I figured that my straight point and shoot wasn't a "professional" enough piece of equipment.  Not fully comprehending the technology, I didn't know how to allow more light in through the shutter.  As a result, I didn't trust my ability to capture the vital moments of passion and drama that oozed (for two full hours) so, instead, I snapped and snapped and snapped away.  With close to two-thousand images to choose from, I spent way too many hours laboring over uploading photos while deleting others.  (&, I won't even fill you in on the other hours spent transferring images to another computer just so I could burn discs!)

The following weekend, I was again on hand to capture a fleeting experience.  This time, I was armed with my point and shoot.  However, before I arrived onto a wet and rainy UCSD campus, I had spent the morning down at the La Jolla Cove wandering amongst the stunning shoreline while caught up in a flowing river of time.  I stopped in to the Living Room Cafe to gather myself and enjoy lunch.  I also enjoyed a wonderful conversation with my table mate.  I stuck around a little longer than I would have liked, so as not to be rude to my new acquaintance.  With minutes to spare, I rushed out the door and headed up the hill.  I knew that I should just relax and savor the ride, yet I became fearful that I would be "late."  The driver in front of me was uninformed of my endeavor, however, and refused to drive any faster than 20 miles up the slick road - regardless of how closely I followed on his tale and how impatient and frustrated I became.  Yet again, I knew that I should just trust - that all is in divine perfect order, always.  But, I didn't.  Instead, I became emotionally moved and anxious.

Naturally, I arrived with plenty of minutes to spare.  While at Richard Cohen's lecture, I opened up the shutter wide on the point and shoot.  In some instances, I pointed my device and waited for a full minute before the shutter clicked.  I chose to trust that the mystery that was being revealed that day would also reveal itself within my camera.  That night, while uploading the images onto my camera, I cried copiously over what I unearthed.  "Don't you see?" I kept asking myself, as I rocked back and forth.  "The brilliance is illuminating."  For there it all was - love, compassion, joy and serenity - as told by a merry cast of pre-evolutionaries.  The beauty is, sometimes, so overwhelmingly tragic.  It's so ephemeral, so nonsensical.  It just is.  I can't explain it and, usually, when I try to, I simply end up hurting myself.  My ego wants to know, though ~ it wants to know why my body is pulled in certain directions and why my heart yearns for some thing.  It wants to know "why..."   I am happiest when I admit that it's all a simple mystery.  Maintaining this belief pattern requires much trust on my part, however.

And, this week, the trust has been hard to come by.  I feel scared, nervous and overwhelmed.  I am fearful about what is currently unfolding in my life.  I am afraid that I will not be able to rise to the challenges that these moments n-o-w are demanding of me.  I just want to pull the blankets over my head and reside in my state of short-term comfort.  I am afraid of the discomfort that is awaiting...
Nonetheless, I breathe in, I think of you and I remember what you've shared with me.  I pray that our paths will cross again and that we will revel in more of the mystery together.  Yet, I surrender to the fact that this is it.  And that this is all it may ever be.