Monday, April 23, 2012

Well-Rounded

This is how the Soular Power Brigade celebrates Earth Day

Like water flowing under, time smooths our surfaces.
This story begins in the same courtyard pictured above, seven years earlier.
It was my home, then - a condo located on Alabama Street where I launched my graduate school career, fell in love with my ex and bailed on a gig teaching art and theatre to an entire elementary school.  I distinctly recall, at that time, the realization dawning on me that I could count - on both hands - the number of intimate friendships that I reveled in.  Instinctively, I knew that as great as our modern technology is, virtual relating could never replace the real thing.  It was a time of deep sorrow - I mourned the loss of intimacy while feeling stuck within an isolating anger.  I resolved to make a change...

Years passed and I deepened into this here and now.  I reclaimed my rightful place within local, dance communities and discovered both people and organizations that fed my bee-ing.  I held tight to an unclear yet coalescing vision for a future, one that I felt though couldn't quite see, even as I continued to thrash around within my own self-imposed suffering.  Perhaps, some habits are simply hard to break.  Perhaps, all we really need is presence and the fortitude to gratefully accept this moment as the gift - no matter how difficult, challenging or hard it seemingly appears to be.  Rounding our edges and softening our angles, perhaps all that is simply required of us is great patience and silent persistence.  Holding on to our dreams, we bee-lieve in their fruition. After all, it's only a matter of time.

The Birds & the Bees