Thursday, August 30, 2012

READ!

READ.
Even if it's the 50 Shades of Grey series by E.L. James (which apparently was banned in Brevard County, Florida,  YES!)  Personally, I couldn't slow myself down enough to read until the very end of high school.  It might have been the summer after I graduated, actually, when I discovered the romance novels of Danielle Steel.  In a mere matter of pages, I was transported around the globe as well as back in time without ever having to leave the comfort and security of my parent's house or my home town.

READ.
Yes, I've read all three books in E.L. James'  50 series this summer and, like almost every other American housewife and woman, I too was pulled right into the world of Anastasia Steel and Christian Grey.  Oh, the Sex!  The over-the-top and all-around, BDSM, red play room of pain SEX.  Oh, eye candy like crack that I can't put down and that I must devour every last morsel of.  Oh, the SEX!  And, I just did the same thing yesterday with one of James' counterparts, Sylvia Day's novel, Bared to You. 

(preface)  I've been reading the signs from the Universe as a plethora of potent symbolism greets my eyes and ears on an almost daily basis.  True to form, Day's protagonist is a recent NYC transplant, from San Diego, who graduated from SDSU and whose father serves on the Oceanside Police Force.  As she wantonly careens into the arms of Gideon Cross, the sounds of Adele's 19 album play in the background - just as I have been addicted to Adele's soulful voice & romantic lyrics for the past week.

My hunger for words has also illuminated my FEMINIST:

(“I love my country, by which I mean I am indebted joyfully to all the people throughout its history, who have fought the government to make right. Where so many cunning sons and daughters, our foremothers and forefathers came singing through slaughter, came through hell and high water so that we could stand here, and behold breathlessly the sight; how a raging river of tears cut a grand canyon of light. Why can't all decent men and women call themselves feminists, out of respect for those that fought for this?” Ani DiFranco

Thus, as much as I was pulled into James' & Day's fantastic tales of great sex, the roller coaster of love, power & money, I also feel that something is deeply missing.  Allow me to expound....