Saturday, September 15, 2012

our BODY never LIES

i.
Gymnastics was my first LOVE.
And, I was a pretty damn fine gymnast, too.
I'd dig my toes and press my heels into the sprung mats on our local gymnasium's floor,
and charge down a straightaway to perform round off back handsprings into a back flip over or, sometimes, even a back tuck.  I enjoyed showing off these tricks, as well as aerial cartwheels, for my peers, who would plead with me to "do it again," on our elementary school fields.

ii.
Headaches, sometimes even migraines, are my main ailment and, for the past few years, they have been a chronic source of pain that stops me dead in my tracks.  I lay down, press pillows over my eyes and face and go to sleep.  Isn't it odd how, as we continue to grow into our adulthood, sleep becomes our number one "go-to" and main reprieve?  


iii. 
That big, full Blue Moon was potent medicine and the Universe was screaming in my direction, pointing its myriad of signs and markers right at me.  L was staying with us at Las Raices, recovering from the removal of a melon-sized fybroid tumor that had been pressing against the walls of her uterus.  For a few weeks, we shared kitchen space and I would drop into full spaz mode whenever our energies came into orbit around each other.  "BLAaaaaaaaah," I would pleat.  "MOOoooooo," she would moan back.  We speak in our own private tongue; mixing idioms, personas, characters, sounds and more, into a giant vat of laughter and ancestry.  It's one of the best natural remedies that I have recently had the pleasure of enjoying.