Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dear, Sweet SiStar ~


We first met two and a half years ago, working side by side in community organizing around food justice. I didn't imagine then that our paths would converge so deeply. I knew that you were a bad ass, American girl, fightin' the system, buckin' convention. However, you left for studies and travels through Africa and I remained here in San Diego. The Prosperity Hive was born where we grooved our asses off together at RadFest in June 2011 (as photographed above.)

Then, you graduated from State and the Prosperity Hive died. I asked to move the pillows, balls and hoops into the cooperative you had been living in. You said, "Sure," and placed the house keys in my hand. One month later, a rattlesnake took a bite out of me. After eight weeks of recuperation, I was once again ready to emerge and your house was now available for new roommates to move in. You asked me to join in the co-creation of a feminine collective. Las Raices was born and we women set our intention for the summer - we were focusing on our healing.

Our being roommates was a simple "Yes." You worked hard, saving your cash by riding your bike to the World Beat Center and carpooling down to Suzie's to swelter under the sun as a farm apprentice. As I willingly share with so many, you are the most vibrant activist I have had the pleasure of knowing. We celebrated your 22nd birthday on an independence day on a house on 22nd Street. However, this summer you were also very taxed and oppressively silent at times. Your anger was a mirror of my own as I sank into the reflection of me in my 20s - a young woman filled with the rage that only a breakdown in community can create. I breathed in compassion and exhaled out love and communication. You and I, we've always seemed to be able to meet in the middle.

So, tonight you left.  Headed south on your journeys - towards Chiapas and the Zapatistas - and for sinking deeper into your medicine woman ways.  Tonight, our room feels oppressively empty.  I've already adorned my body with the gold earrings and heart-shaped necklace that you left for me on our altar.   (Thank you.)   And, I already miss you - so sweetly - even though I know that time is simply an illusion.

As my mind danced in visions of our life long friendship, Anita and Sasha arrived at the door.  Time to drop into our bodies and our breath, into this beat and expression, into these moments, now.  And, the work goes on...

I look forward to seeing you womanifest your embodied medicine woman ways in the world very soon...
In sisterhood, always ~
 --CHC.