Thursday, November 1, 2012

Markers

Even though time is, yes, just an illusion, what fun it is to mark it.
I have been keeping time since I was a girl - writing about it; capturing it in images on a camera; making scrapbooks and photo albums; marching on a football field to the beat of the band; dancing to the Universal rhythm.  I guess it's what there is to do - enjoy this now that we have been given because it's all we got, yeah?

Suffice it to type, I've been contemplating the 10 year marker that 2013 will be bringing into my life.  It'll be a decade since I moved back to San Diego and into the downtown area.  Wow.  Ten frickin' years!  Whew!  And, how did I spend that time, you may wonder?

Living in Golden Hill, Hillcrest, North Park, University Heights, Bay Park, Clairemont, Oceanside, & East Village.
Working as an Art & Theatre Teacher; at REI; as a gymnastics teacher & a "bubble-ologist;" kid sitting and summer camps; travels with Party Hats; weddings at Hidden Valley Retreat & Spa; events with UpBeat Drum Circles; local activism with Roots San Diego Sustainable Food Project; women's leadership with Tribal Truth; & more.
Traveling to Vermont, Washington, Kauai, New York/ New Jersey, Florida.
Earning an MFA.
Writing.
Camping & hiking in Rancho Cuyamaca State Park.
Living with two very different men - one a moody musician whose internal battle, at that time, had him behaving more like Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde.  He married a year after we broke up - his need to prove his self as different was sealed in his conversion to Islam.  I wonder, however, about his music and how his career would be different today if he had simply owned that he has always been special and unique.
The other an "illegal immigrant" who kicked my ass (rhetorically speaking, of course - except for that busted lip, once...) by illuminating my taker-spoiled-American-girl-who-can't-think-for-herself-and has-forgotten-common-sense ways.
Becoming a mom to two black labs and then letting them go.  Sinking into my Mama Bear ways.
Co-founding the Prosperity Hive.
Dancing in Community, holding sacred space.
Beeing with friends & lovers.
& I could go on.
But I won't.

(Go ahead ~ make your own list of where you've been.  And, pat yourself on your back for how far you've come in such a short time.)

10 years.
And, I'm feeling ready to let go of all of it - including San Diego.
Wherever the Universe leads me, I shall follow.
It's time to fly this nest.