Monday, November 12, 2012

RITUAL

Part of "waking up" in this now is harnessing the ability to look around you and notice that things just aren't right.  We're hurting.  We're sick and we're sad.  If you can't see this, then please look deeper.  Cancer and heart disease are our number one causes of death here in America and we're popping pills for our anxiety and depression like they're candy.  We are in a serious state of complete and total spiritual bankruptcy.   

The breakdown of community and the rise of isolation; a belief system that we are each individual islands entitled to material abundance; a value system rooted in things vs. love and profits vs. people; the loss of ritual, ceremony and story as integral parts of one's life; the celebration of violence as entertainment; all of this has made us angry, too.  So, we puff out these hardened shells of brand name clothes and tattoos, of polished hair and toned muscles.  Our physical bodies mimicking the two-dimensionality of the technologies that we're so addicted to.  Yet, our emotional bodies can never be enslaved by the machinated.  For, we are human and we hunger for LOVE and connection - to ourselves, each other and the only home we have ever known, this planet Earth.  

During our ceremony here on Saturday night, I finally spilled my tears for our beloved Buckbeat.  I realized that she froze to death.  Winter is here, even in southern California, and the nights have drastically dropped in temperature.  She had no body fat to protect her, so I was caught, red-handed, "sleeping" on the job.  This hurts, deeply, to feel that, in the end, she may have very well suffered - the culpability is on my hands.  Yet, our love for each other was profound and I know she forgives me. 

We'll be burying her under the tangerine tree near her coop tonight.  In reflecting on this, I remembered how, as a girl, I was the person in my family who made sure that we honored the passing of our family's animals with ceremony that included song and words in the backyard of my parent's home.  It's funny how some things don't change.  As Paolo Coelho wrote in The Alchemist,
all we have to do is remember to hold on to the dreams we dreamed as children.  What did you dream then?  What do you dream now?

What's become abundantly clear is that my Spirit has always carried the ways of Earth magic with it.  I believe in a LOVE that takes root in our planet's soil, and grows in symbiotic relationship with everything around it.  And, today, I recognize that my deep core wounds extend far beyond this lifetime.  In the past, I was once burned at the stake for my beliefs and my embodiment.  Once upon a time, we forced our imbalanced ways.  Now, however, that era is over.  I am once again free to practice my Divine, wild feminine ways as a path of BEAUTY, LOVE & TRUE POWER back towards our radical wholeness.