Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Kundalini Rising

3:30am
And the internal alarm clock goes off.
"Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,"
my BodyMind comes to. 
There is no escaping this deafening call.
There is no longer an ability to turn over, refuse to listen
and sleep in.
"N-o-w is the time," comes an ancient call.

It has been said that the darkest hour is just before the dawn.
"The dark?" he asks.
"Yes," I said.
"Last summer, I realized that my spirit is a garden.  If I want to grow all
of my seed dreams - for love, work, transformation and dance - then I need to be
tending to the dark, nutritious matter within.  I must actively churn it, feed it and care
for it so that, come spring, these now rooted plants can begin to break through the soil, unfurl,
flourish, and grow."
"That's an amazing metaphor," he says.
Yes, indeed.

Like a woman's womb, the pitch black abyss is a conduit from where life springs.  It is in these twilight hours, just before sunrise, when our "fertility" - our individual ability to bear fruit and to manifest in this life, n-o-w, all that we envision - is the ripest. 

So, I sat in quiet, stillness (kinda).  Then, I retreated back into my dark nest where I sat facing my future.  I called in the highest frequency of divine energy by chanting:
"Ong Na Mo Guru Dev Na Mo."
("I Call on the Infinite Creative Consciousness, I Call on Divine Wisdom.")
108 times. 
"This Kundalini Yoga chant protects and connects us with our higher self.  Properly done it stimulates the pituitary and pineal glands and automatically tunes us in to higher consciousness." 
(from Gururattan Kaur Khalsa's Your Life is in Your Chakras)

The number 108 actually comes from the Hindu and  Buddhist Japa Mala prayer beads.  "Amid the more esoteric circles of Eastern philosophers, the number 108 is held to be most auspicious, a perfect three-digit multiple of three, its components adding up to nine, which is three threes.  And three, of course, is the number representing supreme balance, as anyone who ever studied either the Holy Trinity or a simple bar stool can plainly see."  (from Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love)

What do you want to grow?
It's a simple enough question.
May we all have the courage to listen to how our heart responds.
We might even be surprised...