Tuesday, July 16, 2013

JERSEY BIRD: (Metaphor in Motion)


 Paying keen attention to our large, brown hen, I notice that she has taken to sitting on her unfertilized eggs in sadly mistaken hope that they will soon one day hatch.  She’s a scrapper this one, for in order to pry her off of her eggs and prod her on with her day, I have to don a stick as I push her from behind, on out of her milk crate nest.   
The other day, I noticed how, when she is strutting her tail feathers around our South Park canyon, pecking at the feed on the ground and sipping water, she can also behave like a bully towards our other four chickens.  “Watch out for her!” I recently told my housemates.
My roommate, well versed in urban agriculture, responded by sharing that the nature of her breed, that of a Jersey bird, is to be aggressive.  “Hmmm,” I replied, “it’s funny how my mother is a Jersey bird, too.”  ; )
“Well, what should we do?” I inquired, looking up at the balcony where my roommate and visiting guest were perched.  “Should we sacrifice her and take her meat as sustenance?” I innocently asked. 
 We discussed the healthiness of her tissue and muscle.   
“Would her “negative” energy bee in the meat?” we openly questioned.   
“No,” we decided - for she isn’t a “bad” bird.   
Rather, she is simply playing the part that she was born to play.  
 “Is it natural for one of the chickens to play the role of the rooster in a rooster’s absence?” I then asked. 
“I’ve seen her with the dogs,” a housemate said.  “She is protective and fierce.”  
 “Ohhhh,” we all collectively sighed, taking in this new information.   
“So, we need her to help defend the brood from natural predators, then?” I asked more as a statement than a question.
Case closed.
We all are born to divinely play our roles perfectly – this goes for the Bullies, as well as the neglectful parents.  Whatever you do, whoever you are, know this - YOU ARE PERFECT EXACTLY AS YOU ARE.