Wednesday, July 10, 2013

through the FIRE

"Flight is one of the most ancient paths to the unknown...this description could be that of the Medicine Woman who describes sickness as a flight of the Soul, and that it is her task to cry for a vision that brings the Soul back."  --from Cousineau's "Once and Forever Myths"

"Not outta the woods yet," I texted you late last night.  Sometimes, you have to go deep in, puncturing the heart and center, before you can find your way out.  My most sacred of spaces abuts a South Park canyon where two Harriers Hawks are unusually nesting for this summer season.  Their high-pitched calls are unmistakable.

I hurt myself yesterday.
With a boogie board in one arm, and my visiting best friend's 5-year-old in the other, the waist-high waves were too big and too fast for such precarious balance.  The foam board flew up with a pounding wave, jamming my middle, left finger.  "There are no such things as accidents," Louise Hay would advise, as I breathe into this omen.  It's a familiar refrain, only now its affecting my Feminine side. 

Still, falling down is such a common experience in my life that it has been a regular theme in my Dreamtime ever since I was a girl.  Per my usual, I get up, dust myself off and keep on going.  Headed north with another best sister and her three beauties, we again hit the playa.  "I have no money, no resources, no hope, wrote Henry Miller while living in Paris.  I am the happiest man alive... I no longer have to think about art... I am. (Cousineau, pg. 233)

Along the way, I wondered if, perhaps, I should prepare for the class I was teaching later that night. "Trust," was the response that kept coming back from my inner BodyMind SoulSpirit.  And as I am discovering, the more I keep shedding all of this skin, there is no need to plan ahead, to set agendas or concoct scripts.  It's all here, within.  The Apple Tree doesn't have to do anything to grow a delicious apple.  It just does, and it is from this place that it offers you nutrition for the palm of your hand.  The HoneyBee doesn't have to think, premeditate or deliberate upon its path of action.  It just knows. 
Follow your nose.

"The Beauty of a city is not only measured in the way its buildings are designed.... Cities are mythologized when they transcend the perfunctory demands of the day and stand for something larger by encouraging timeless pursuits, something sacred.  As James Hillman wrote in his book, City and Soul,
"Without images, we tend to lose the way... The soul wants its images, and when it doesn't find them, it makes substitutes: billboards and graffiti for instance...How we see into each other, look at each others' faces, read each other - that is how Soul contact takes place.  We also need body places.  Places where bodies see each other, meet each other, are in touch with each other, like the people who leave their offices in Paris and swim in the Seine River..This emphasizes the relationship of the body to the daily life of the city, bringing one's physical body into the town.  In other words, I am emphasizing the place of intimacy within a city, for intimacy is crucial to the Soul... A city that neglects the soul's welfare makes the soul search for its welfare in a degrading and concrete way, in the shadow of those gleaming towers.. The Soul that is uncared for turns into an angry child."  (Cousineau, pg. 223)


(WOW! Two musical selections for this magical Hump Day.  In joy!~)