Tuesday, June 11, 2013

perspective


(The Powers of Ten - an "old school," astro-physical, short film that enlightens its viewers with a renewed sense of 'perspective.')

I've spent a lot of the last two days laying around.  Oh, the stuff that is held in this BodyMind (SoulSpirit)!  Thoughts, memories, a sub-conscious and an un-conscious - its all had a tale to tell, as I have simply surrendered to the coughing and the mucus, to the chills and the sweats.  It has been years since I have suffered through such common cold symptoms.  In the process, I recalled the above video which was just one of many teaching tools when I worked as an instructor at Idyllwild's Astro-Camp.

There is a wider perspective I wanted to offer about our favorite Sundays in the Park, as well.  After Dance Church on Sundays, a group of sometimes 40+ of us descend on a grassy knoll that is located just beside a sprawling temple grounds - a self-realization fellowship that a Yogi created in the early 20th century - on a bluff high above the cool Pacific Ocean.  Highway 101 passes right in front where a tree trunk recently carved into the shape of a Maori rock sits stoic and proud. This past Sunday, I was draped in black, attempting to soak up as much of the emerging sun's rays as possible as I also enjoyed a 360 degree view of life that far surpasses anything a television set could ever offer.  

A. the actor brought his box of vivid-hued puppets, thus a group of adults and children sat together, speaking in strange voices while acting out comedic antics.  This small group of hooligans was comprised of a well-known local Belly Dancer, two conscious hip-hop artists, the L.A. actor/comedian, and a 10-year-old.  They mimed out a short skit as another group of children sat mesmerized in amusement.  On the other side of me was a maze of thick, flat ropes strategically tied to tree trunks.  On top of these brilliant colored lines, people walked and practiced their 'Slacklining' skills.  Like professional artists, a few of the hard-bodied young men are quite adept at bouncing with their full bodies along the line, from horizontal to vertical and from air bound to Earth bound. 

Walking down the steep staircase at the top of the bluff, I noticed a past Lover working the Lifeguard Tower.  The water is glassy and the waves are banging.  Surfers glint in the distance as I ask about the film crew on the beach.  "They're filming a documentary about Polyamory," he tells me.  "Yeah, it's a Showtime show," I say.  "Those are them," I tell him, as he inquires if it is the couple I had told him about. 

"Did you make it to the Blank Tapes show?" he asks.  "Yeah, I made it in to say 'hey' to Matt."  "That was cool of him to text you," he says, as we reminisce about the time when I had a space to offer traveling musicians a place to stay for the night.  When Matt and Pearl spent the night at the Hive, I didn't even make it back to meet them.  Thus, A. went with me to the Void a few weeks back to finally meet this consummate artist.  While we were siting in the darkened bar together, sipping on water, I shared that my goal and intention remains - to once again co-create a groovy SD space where gypsies and bards can land.  We left the bar early that night, and as we pulled away, I noticed that your band was playing in the joint just down the block.  And I laughed....