Monday, June 10, 2013

"SICK"

I have a bug.
It's been awhile since I have felt the symptoms of a virus. 
I pride myself on my vibrant health (if you haven't noticed), thus being knocked down by a runny nose, a cough and lethargy is an intriguing pill to swallow.  "Why am I sick?" is how the refrain goes.  Being a natural pessimist (look at the corners of my lips - their downturned nature give this little secret of mine away.  Thus, it has been a lifelong battle to always try to arrive at the positive,) my instinct is to judge my current state as "bad," yet what two of my sisters reminded me of this just now past weekend is how our bodies need to expel what no longer serves them.  Common colds are one way for this to happen. 

At Dr. Ben Kim online, he wrote:
"...there never needs to be a cure for the common cold, since the common cold is nature's way of keeping you healthy over the long term.  And so long as you get plenty of rest and strive to stay hydrated and properly nourished during a cold or flu, there is no need to get vaccinated or to take medications that suppress congested sinuses, a fever, or coughing.  All of these uncomfortable symptoms are actually ways in which your body works to eliminate waste products.  It's fine to use over-the-counter pain medication like acetaminophen if your discomfort becomes intolerable or if such meds can help you get a good night's rest.  But it's best to avoid medications that aim to suppress helpful processes such as fever, coughing, and a runny nose."

Sure, there might be some psycho-somatic connections in here for me to look at, as well.  When the feeling of a sore throat and tingling in my ears began on Friday, I openly questioned myself: "What am I not listening to and/or hearing?  And, what am I not communicating?"  

Yesterday, I had been so excited and looking forward to Dance Church but my aching body just wasn't quite up for it.  I arrived into the studio where an upbeat tempo rocking hip-hop tunes kept our community on its feet.  Finding it difficult to give myself the gentle, loving warm-up that I really needed, you sidled up beehind me - offering me a place to surrender into your arms, as you just held and rocked me.  Your actions reminded me that - contrary to what I had been erroneously beelieving, which is that I AM POWERFUL because I can give as well as take so much - your gentle strength reminded me otherwise.  TRUE POWER IS SOFT SURRENDER & SWEET VULNERABILITY. 

So, today, when at work and my co-worker C. - the sharpest 22-year-old I know - spoke as to how men are "useless," I stuck up for you - all of you.  "They're not," I shared.  "They help me to remember..."  I told her about yesterday and how another 'you' climbed under my leg where we talked about your fear of a powerful, beautiful woman and how her passionate purpose makes you shudder with your feelings of inadequacy.  "I don't need you to match my fire," I said.  "I just need us to bee honest about where we each are.  I need to bee held, and I need to hold.  I need US to acknowledge the She is Creative Life Force Energy and that the story of He as beeing a singular God is no longer of service - to any one of U.S."

I can forgive my brothers for each of their beliefs that He is God - it's a story we've been raised on.   And, I forgive my sisters for their harshness and lack of compassion - for He found a way into their pants when they were just innocent babes.  NONE OF IT IS FAIR.  So, C. receives my word for the day and then sends me home early to rest, along with a bag of EmergenC, Chicken Broth Soup and Chamomile Tea, as I bask in receiving the sweet, gentle care that is all my heart ever asks for.